Saturday, December 12, 2009

Can I breed a St. Bernard that has a half mask? The AKC website doesn't list this as a defect...?

My puppy is in all other ways a wonderful example of a Saint, and her parents were as well. I have another adult Saint that I chose not to breed because he is a wonderful pet but not the best example of the breed, however, my puppy is and I'm wondering if the half mask or other markings should stop me from breeding her.Can I breed a St. Bernard that has a half mask? The AKC website doesn't list this as a defect...?
You can. You should consider a lot more than the mask. Please see this site for more details (it specifically shows half mask 'well bred' Sts.) http://www.saintbernardclub.org/0pups/in鈥?/a>Can I breed a St. Bernard that has a half mask? The AKC website doesn't list this as a defect...?
YES!





Hope this helps!
I would not worry about that until all the OFA results are in. That is more important. If that all clears, worry about markings then.
Why are you thinking of breeding in the first place. Back Yard Breeder...Are you going to go back to your backyard and start breeding now? Spay + Neuter
No its not a defect it should still be okay to breed just wait till they are at least 11/2 or 2 years old if the puppy is a female a stain Bernard without a mask is no different from a tiger without stripes
Call some AKC Registered St. Bernard breeders. The AKC is a persnikety bunch. They may tell you one thing and after you have commited and done the deed reject the puppies. Very political organization. Is your dog registered and what is his pedigree? If he does not have a pedigree they will never accept him.
well if the akc does not list this a defect then it is up to you
If you were considering breeding, I would hope you had a mentor to ask about this? not my breed I'm into, but I agree with the 1st poster- worry about OFA on that breed, before even bothering to worry about markings. If you don't know what a proper mask is in the first place, can can you have an idea about the overall quality of the dog in general, for build and form?
If you do not know this,you also do not know wether your grown Saint is ';pet'; or ';show'; quality! Learn the standard if you are ever to even consider showing or breeding. If the dogs are not registered with the AKC it won't matter if they are solid white with one black spot in the middle of their head; because they are not breeding stock and not held to a conformation standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment